Se Habla Español | For a free consultation: (916) 567-1111


From the Wreck to Your Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer: What to Do after a Collision

Just as there have been vehicle drivers in and around California’s River City, so have there been vehicular accidents. Indeed, regardless of how careful drivers are becoming, there will always be those who fail to heed basic road safety rules. Do you know what to do in case you become involved in a crash, and can you get a dependable Sacramento car accident lawyer to help you out?


According to, you should always be packing emergency supplies when behind the wheel:

Drivers should carry a cell phone, as well as pen and paper for taking notes, a disposable camera to take photos of the vehicles at the scene, and a card with information about medical allergies or conditions that may require special attention if there are serious injuries. Also, keep a list of contact numbers for law enforcement agencies handy.

You need to keep from obstructing the road as much as possible, so if you suffered a rather minor (yet injurious and damaging) collision, move your vehicle to the side of the road before proceeding further. Should the collision happen at night, turn on hazard lights or set off flares (or other lighting devices) that can warn other motorists of your presence. If the accident left you unable to maneuver the vehicle further, you can proceed to the next step.

If you can walk, head on over to the other driver and check his condition; you will need to exchange basic information like your name, address and contact numbers for the sake of insurance. In case the driver isn’t the one insured for his vehicle, ask for information of the latter as well.

If the camera that you’ve stored is still intact, take as many pictures of the scene as you can, as this will come in handy when filing with your trustworthy car accident attorney in Sacramento, like one from Carter Wolden & Curtis Law Firm. You should also opt to get the contact information of any witnesses.

Should you get injured in the accident to the point that you can no longer walk without limping or are otherwise in excruciating pain, you can dispense with most of these guides and instead call emergency services and your doctor for help. You can have someone take photos of the collision scene for you.

(Info from What to Do After a Car Accident,, 12/3/2009)

Request a free consultation
Skip to content